Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How much could a cookie have changed?


While I ran some errands this afternoon and The Hubbs watched the kiddos, he made some cookies for the family.  These are cookies that have been sitting for 3 months on the shelf waiting to be made.  They are SO sweet that I didn't want to eat them all, so that's why I hadn't made them.  Yet, about once every other week The Hubbs would ask me to. 

He saved me 1 because he knows my problem with sweets...I will eat them all I was thankful to have 1 cookie to eat after dinner, a nice treat.  I bit into one and it seemed off-tasting.  I couldn't peg it, and I certainly didn't want say anything to him.  I then walked by it again and took another bite and The Hubbs comes up next to me and says "They are really sweet, huh?".  That is what the off-taste was.  It was so over the top sweet compared to what we have been eating.  I jumped for joy inside!  We were finally rounding a corner I so desperatly wanted for all of us.  We have cut nearly all desserts and treats from our diet.  We're certainly eating more fruit and it shows.  I still make sweet things, but they're good for us, not just sugar and flour.

I'm so happy that our Primal 1-week challenge has had lasting effects :)

16 comments:

  1. Good for you! I would love to eliminate sweets from my diet. But I am weak and have no willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Kristy, I have zero willpower and a wicked sweet tooth. In fact, my sweet tooth has quite the cavity from my sugar intake. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so there! I bake it...I eat it...don't want it to go to waste, right?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No willpower here, either! You are a brave, brave soul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the sweet problem too. I think I need to do some kind of sugar purge to get through! Sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful response to such a challenge! :) That's excellent! I hope to lean more in that direction soon. For now, we're just continuously adding in more fruits and veggies, but I'll admit that I am constantly craving sweet carbs. ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man do I ever have a sweet tooth! Keeping healthy, non-sweet snacks available is always helpful to me. Otherwise I'll grab a handful of chocolate chips. yeah....not so healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo sweet tooth here, too! But lucky for us, almost everything in NZ is sweetened with sugar, not high fructose corn syrup, so things don't have such a sickly-sweet taste. Just a little will curb the craving. And when I *do* have something sweetened with corn syrup, it really sticks out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everyone else, I have a huge sweet tooth. I have gone off all sugars before and know what you mean. It's the same with salt. My husband can't eat salt so we don't use it much at home. When I taste something with salt in it, I can taste it. There are some softdrinks that I just can't even drink anymore because they're so salty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a HUGE sweet tooth! I cut out all refined sugars for a while last year, but chose the wrong time to try it and fell off the wagon. I really want to start again and work on getting most of the sugar and simple carbs out of our diets again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so comforting to know I'm not the only one with zero will power. I'm so happy for you that you're rounding a corner to change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you all can do this if you put your mind to it :) Being free from sugar's ball and chain has been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I can't imagine giving up my daily chocolate (I buy the "fun size" or tiny chocolate candies so at least it is a small portion). But there are days that I eat several of them instead of just one... What a great job you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm those look so yummy!!! I would have no will power not to eat them. The only way fresh made cookies don't get eaten here is to put them in the freezer for later consumption. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate since we have been off sugar for a while now. Once the body is off the sugar it is really hard to eat some sweets because it tastes too sweet. I think it is great that you cut out the sweet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count me in the group with no willpower. I have to admit that it's easier in the summer, though....my house gets WAY too hot to use the oven!

    ReplyDelete