Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Deprivation?

I've found while researching The Compact that some people see this as deprivation. While I can understand their ankle-deep thoughts, I urge them to look deeper. To ask themselves "Did I really need to buy that brand new pair jeans?"  We won't go without this year, trust me.  That's not what The Compact is about.

It's just about being aware of your purchases. Maybe saying to yourself "This week, I need to buy a birthday present for T, a new tablecloth, and a baby shower gift." Well, once you get into the mindset of going to thrift stores, it will be easy to save money, cut down on packaging, waste and find clothes that fit because they've already been washed. Yes, that's my current favorite. See, I have a long torso and well, I'm no high school varsity soccer girl anymore, if you know what I mean. So, a super bonus about buying clothes 2nd hand, shirts in particular, is that I can tell if they're long enough by just holding them up to me. When I buy a shirt new, it likely will shrink and then it will look hideous on me :/

While searching around the interwebs and my favorite blogs, I've come across these books. They are all on my library waiting list so I can't attest for how good they are, but they come recommended. I will update as I finish them :)

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
Living Simply with Children
Simplicity Parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment