Saturday, January 30, 2010

Garden dilemma

So, I've never successfully grown a garden.  I've tried and than given up and now my hubby seems to think I'm a little crazy for thinking of growing a huge garden this year.  BUT, this year is different.  I've learned a lot of where our foods comes from and the awful things mainstream farmers do to our food.  It's bad people, REAL bad.  Anyways, we live on an urban 1/2 acre so I've got plenty of room for a large garden.  Here is what I'm going to grow this year:

Cilantro
Bush beans
Beets
Broccoli
Carrots
Chard
Cucs
Eggplant
Lettuce mix
Cantaloupe
Onion
Sugar snaps
Hot peppers
Sweet peppers
Radish
Spinach *I'm still not sure
Zucs
Butternut squash
Parsley
Watermelon
Tomatoes (I think I'll be buying these as plants)
Strawberries
Garlic
Corn

I'm still looking for organic eating corn

All are coming from organic seeds I'm going to buy from Uprising Seeds

So, what's my dilemma?  Well, I'll need to purchase some items to grow a garden, like plastic containers for seedlings, poles, fencing (to keep the dogs out), tomato cage thingys, etc etc.  I will be looking on CL for all of it, but I'm unsure of how lucky I'll be.  Regardless, I think these items can be allowed since I'll be growing much of our own food.  Okay, maybe not, but I'm going to allow it :)

Tonight or tomorrow I'll dive more into our mainstream food system

No comments:

Post a Comment